Forums

Forum Home > Pagan Homesteading > Rice Mix Recipes

antigoneluce
Site Owner

I promised the ppl on Just Measures Radio tonight I'd post this list.  I hope everyone benefits from it.

Taco Rice Mix

In a quart-sized ziplock bag combine the following ingredients:

* 1 cup long grain brown rice or white rice

* 2 teaspoons chili powder

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/4 teaspoon each oregano & cumin & garlic powder

* 2 tablespoons dry onion

* Dash red pepper flakes

Seal & Label the bag. Store on the pantry shelf.

To Prepare:

* 1 package of Taco Rice Mix

* 1 or 2 tablespoons oil

* 8 oz can reduced sodium tomato sauce or 1 cup chopped fresh or canned tomatoes

* 2 cups water

Get out a 2-quart saucepan. Heat the oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the contents of the Taco Rice Mix. Sauté the rice and seasonings in the hot oil until the rice is toasty and slightly opaque. Add the tomato sauce and water. Stir it up and bring it to a boil. When it starts to boil, cover the pan with a good lid and reduce the heat to very low. Brown rice will cook in 45 minutes. White rice will cook in 20 minutes. Serve topped with cheese for a main dish, or just like it is as a side dish. This is my oldest son's favorite food in the entire world. This recipe doubles easily. Cook it in a 3-quart saucepan if you double it.

Makes 4 servings.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 228 Calories; 4g Fat (16.1% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 629mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

Variations

To make Taco Style Beans & Rice add a 15 oz can of kidney or pinto or black beans (1-1/2 cups cooked beans) well drained and rinsed, along with the tomato sauce and water. Cook as directed.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 309 Calories; 4g Fat (12.7% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 58g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 956mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

To make Taco TVP & Rice Mix add 1 cup of plain TVP and 2 bouillon cubes to the rice mixture. Use the flavor of bouillon that you prefer. When you prepare the dish, increase the water to 2-3/4 cups. Otherwise, proceed as directed. This is a great main dish mix to keep on hand for busy days.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 288 Calories; 4g Fat (13.2% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 936mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

Note: I keep the bag of Taco Rice Mix in a small brown paper bag along with the canned tomato sauce, and sometimes a can of kidney beans too. This keeps the items together in one spot so I don't have to hunt all over the kitchen for that "can of tomato sauce that I know is around here somewhere". You may be more organized than me and always know where that extra can of tomato sauce is, but in case you're not this tip will save some work. Be sure to label and date the paper bag so you know what it is when you see it sitting there on the shelf.

Buttery Parmesan Rice Mix

* 1 cup long grain brown rice or white rice

* 2 teaspoons vegetable or chicken flavored bouillon

* 2 tablespoons dry milk powder

* 1 teaspoon onion powder

* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

* 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (from a can)

Combine the rice and all of the other ingredients in a resealable plastic container. I like to use zip-lock bags. Label and Seal and the container. Store in the refrigerator or freezer because of the cheese. This is enough for 1 package of mix. Make several at a time for the most conveneince.

To Prepare:

* 2 tablespoons margarine

* 1 package of Buttery Parmesan Rice Mix

* 2 cups water

In a 2-quart saucepan combine the margarine, Rice Mix and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Place a lid on the pot. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible flame. Simmer, covered until done or for about 45 minutes for brown rice or 20 minutes for white rice. Serve hot.

TVP and Bean Burrito Mix

* 1 cup plain or unflavored TVP granules

* 3 tablespoons dry onion

* 2 tablespoons dry bell pepper (optional)

* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

* 1 tablespoon chili powder

* 1/2 teaspoon cumin

* 1/4 teaspoon oregano

* 2 beef bouillon cubes

Combine the TVP and all of the other ingredients in a resealable plastic container. I like to use zip-lock bags. Label and Seal and the container. Store on the pantry shelf. This is enough for 1 package of mix. Make several at a time for the most convenience.

To Prepare:

* 1 package TVP & Bean Burrito Mix

* 1-1/2 cups tap water

* 15 ounce can refried beans, or 2 cups cooked pinto beans, mashed with a fork or potato masher (they needn't be smooth)

* 2 tablespoons oil

* 8 or 10 flour tortillas

In a skillet combine the Mix and tap water. Stir the mixture over medium heat until it boils. Reduce the heat to low, so the mixture only simmers. Add the refried beans, or mashed pinto beans and the oil. Simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes, or until it thickens up to a good consistency. Spread the filling onto heated tortillas. Add salsa, sour cream, cheese, sprouts, guacamole and anything else that suits your fancy. These are quite good, and very easy. Makes 4 or 5 servings.

Buttery Garlic Rice Mix

* 1 cup long grain white rice or brown rice

* 2 chicken bouillon cubes

* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

* 1/8 teaspoon turmeric

* 2 teaspoons dry parsley

Combine the rice and all of the other ingredients in a resealable plastic container. I like to use zip-lock bags. Label and Seal and the container. Store on the pantry shelf. This is enough for 1 package of mix. Make several at a time for the most conveneince.

To Prepare:

* 1 package of Buttery Garlic Rice Mix

* 2 cups water

In a 2 quart saucepan combine the margarine, Rice Mix and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Place a lid on the pot. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible flame. Simmer, covered until done. White rice should cook for 20 minutes and brown rice should cook for 45 minutes. Serve hot.

Yellow Rice Mix

* 1 cup long grain brown rice

* 1/4 teaspoon turmeric

* small speck cayenne pepper

* 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

* 1/2 teaspoon onion powder

* 1 tablespoon dried green pepper

* 3 chicken flavored bouillon cubes

Combine the rice and all of the other ingredients in a resealable plastic container. I like to use zip-lock bags. Label and Seal and the container. Store on the pantry shelf. This is enough for 1 package of mix. Make several at a time for the most convenience.

To Prepare:

* 2-1/2 cups tap water

* 2 tablespoon margarine

Melt the margarine in a 3-quart saucepan. Add the package of mix. Sautè the rice and seasonings for a few minutes, until the rice is toasty, and begins to turn opaque. Add the water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Place a lid on the pot. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible flame. Simmer, covered for until done, or for about 45 minutes. Serve hot.

Creamy Garden Vegetable Rice Mix

* 1/4 cup freeze dried mixed vegetables (see variation)

* 1 tablespoon dry green pepper

* 1 teaspoon dry parsley

* 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

* 2 vegetable or chicken bouillon cubes

* 1 teaspoon brown sugar

* Pinch Turmeric (for color)

* 3 tablespoon dry milk powder

Choose one of the varieties of rice suggested above. Combine it and all of the other ingredients in a resealable plastic container. I like to use zip-lock bags. Label and Seal and the container. Store on the pantry shelf. This is enough for 1 package of mix. Make several at a time for the most conveneince.

To Prepare:

* 1 package of Creamy Garden Vegetable Rice Mix

* 2-1/2 cups water

In a 2 quart saucepan combine the margarine, Rice Mix and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Place a lid on the pot. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible flame. Cook the mixture for 45 minutes over low heat. Serve hot.

Variation: Freeze Dried Mixed Vegetables are available at my local health food store in the spice section. If they aren't available to you, then you can use an 8 oz can of mixed vegetables instead. Prepare the dry mix above, omitting the freeze dried vegetables. Place the package of dry mix in a paper bag with an 8 oz can of mixed vegetables. When you prepare the cooked rice, reduce the water to 2 cups and add the undrained can of mixed vegetables along with the margarine. Using the canned vegetables will give you more vegetables than if you used the freeze dried. Many people prefer it this way.

White Bean and Garden Rice: Cook the Creamy Garden Vegetable Rice as directed. Add a well drained 15 oz can of navy beans with the margarine and rice mix. Cook as directed. Makes a lovely main dish.

Boston Baked Beans

* 2 pounds white beans (northern or navy beans)

* 2 teaspoons salt

* 2 teaspoons dry mustard

* 1/2 cup molasses

* 1/2 cup brown sugar

* 1 onion, peeled and chopped

* 4 to 6 oz of raw bacon, chopped

Soak the beans overnight in plenty of tap water. Or, you can bring them to a boil on the stove and then turn them off, cover them and let them sit for an hour or two. The point of this is to reconstitute them some, making them easier to cook.

After the initial preparation boil your beans on the back of the stove for about half an hour. They won't be perfectly soft, but they will be almost soft. Drain off the cooking water. In a very large casserole (4-quart) combine the semi-cooked beans, salt, dry mustard, molasses, sugar and chopped bacon. Add enough hot water to barely come to the top of the beans. Put a lid on the casserole, or tin foil. Bake the beans at 300° for about 5 to 7 hours. They will be tender, fragrant and delicious. My kids love this stuff. The cooked beans may be frozen in two cup portions to substitute for canned baked beans or canned pork'n'beans in any recipe. They make a good main dish, or a side dish for a large crowd. This recipe serves about 16. I make such a large amount so I can have plenty of leftovers to freeze.

Another way to cook this, good in the summertime, is to use a crock pot. Boil the soaked beans for half an hour, as directed above. Then, instead of combining everything in a casserole, combine them in the crock pot instead. Put the lid on the Crock Pot after you've mixed everything up in it, and cook it on High for about 3 or 4 hours, or on low for 6 or 8 hours. You can put a folded dish towel on top of the lid if your crock pot doesn't get quite hot enough to cook beans normally. The dish towel helps maintain a temperature hot enough to just barely simmer the beans. Serve with Corn Casserole, Mixed Greens and Oatmeal Muffins or Whole Wheat Bread.

Garlic & Margarine Mashed Potato Mix

* 2 cups dry instant potato flakes

* 1/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder

* 1/2 teaspoon onion powder

* good pinch of black pepper

* 3/4 teaspoon salt

Measure all of the ingredients into a resealable plastic container. I prefer to use plastic quart sized zipper bags. Seal and label the container, and store on the pantry shelf until needed. It's a good idea to make up several of these at a time for convenience sake.

To Prepare:

* 1 package of Garlic & Margarine Mashed Potato Mix

* 3 cups boiling water (use 3-1/4 cups if you prefer your potatoes thinner)

Empty the mashed potato mix into a large bowl. Add the margarine. Pour in the boiling water. Let it sit a moment to melt the margarine. Stir the mixture with a fork until it is smooth and thick. Serve hot, straight from the bowl.

I prefer mine made with 3-1/4 cups of boiling water, but this is a personal decision. Makes 4 large servings.

Chicken Style Ricearoni

* 3/4 cup long grain brown or white rice

* 1/4 cup broken spaghetti (or just use more rice)

* 1 tablespoon dry onion

* 1/4 teaspoon garlic

* 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning or thyme

* 1 tablespoon dry parsley

* 3 chicken flavored bouillon cubes or 1 tablespoon powdered bouillon

Combine the rice and all of the other ingredients in a resealable plastic container. I like to use zip-lock bags. Label and Seal and the container. Store on the pantry shelf. This is enough for 1 package of mix. Make several at a time for the most conveneince.

To Prepare:

* 1 package of Chicken Style Rice & Roni Mix

* 2-1/2 cups water

In a 2-quart saucepan combine the margarine, Rice Mix and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Place a lid on the pot. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible flame. Simmer, covered until done or for about 45 minutes for brown rice or 20 minutes for white rice. Serve hot.

Leftovers can be heated up the next day, by sautéing the cold rice in a little margarine, like fried rice. Scramble in an egg and serve in bowls. Makes a quick and easy lunch for hungry kids.

Lemon Herb Rice Mix

* 2 teaspoons vegetable or chicken flavored bouillon

* 1 teaspoon dry lemon peel

* 1/2 teaspoon marjoram

* 1/4 teaspoon thyme

* 1/4 teaspoon rosemary

* 1/4 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 teaspoon sugar

* Pinch Turmeric, for color (optional)

To Prepare:

* 1 package of Lemon Herb Rice Mix

* 2 cups water

In a 2 quart saucepan combine the margarine, Rice Mix and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Place a lid on the pot. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible flame. Simmer, covered until done, or for about 45 minutes. Good with fish or chicken.

Red Rice Mix

* 1 cup long grain white or brown rice

* 2 tablespoons dry onion flakes

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/8 teaspoon pepper

To Prepare:

* 2 tablespoons olive oil

* 1 package of Red Rice Mix

* 14 or 15 oz can of tomatoes

* 1-1/2 cups water

Heat the olive oil in a 3-quart saucepan. Add the package of mix. Sautè the rice and seasonings for a few minutes, until the rice is toasty, and begins to turn opaque. Add the tomatoes and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Place a lid on the pot. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible flame. White rice will cook in 20 minutes and brown rice will be done in 45 minutes. Remember to keep the heat low and leave the lid on the pot.

If desired, you can put a package of the mix in a brown paper lunch bag, and then place a can of tomatoes in the bag beside it. This would keep the mix and the tomatoes together in one place, so you don't have to hunt for canned tomatoes when you are ready to prepare it. Be sure to label the paper bag if you go this route. Any type of canned tomatoes will do. Mexican, Stewed, or Italian tomatoes add variety, especially if you usually make this with plain canned tomatoes.

Savory Onion Rice

* 2 tablespoons olive oil

* 1 cup dry, long-grain brown rice

* 2 tablespoons dry onions

* 1/4 teaspoon salt

* 3 beef boullion cubes or 1 tablespoon bullion granules with no MSG

* 2 cups tap water

Get out a 2 quart saucepan with a good lid. Heat the oil in it over medium high heat. Add the rice, and sautè it for a few minutes, until it turns opaque, and begins to smell toasty. Add the onion powder, dry onions, garlic powder, salt, bullion and water. Stir it all up and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low and cover the pot. Allow it to simmer over very low heat for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and serve. This is quite savory as rice dishes go. To make a Rice 'a' Roni type of dish, replace 1/4 cup of rice with broken bits of whole wheat spaghetti. Add it with the rice above and continue as directed. This recipe is easily doubled.

Beef Style Ricearoni

* 3/4 cup long grain brown or white rice

* 1/4 cup broken spaghetti (or just use more rice)

* 1 tablespoon dry onion

* 1 tablespoon dry parsley

* 3 beef flavored bouillon cubes or 1 tablespoon powdered bouillon

Combine the rice and all of the other ingredients in a resealable plastic container. I like to use zip-lock bags. Label and Seal and the container. Store on the pantry shelf. This is enough for 1 package of mix. Make several at a time for the most convenience.

To Prepare:

* 1 package of Beef Style Rice & Roni Mix

* 2-1/2 cups water

* 1 tablespoon soy sauce

In a 2-quart saucepan combine the margarine, Rice Mix, soy sauce and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Place a lid on the pot. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible flame. Simmer, covered until done or for about 45 minutes for brown rice or 20 minutes for white rice. Serve hot.

Leftovers can be heated up the next day, by sautéing the cold rice in a little margarine, like fried rice. Scramble in an egg and serve in bowls. Makes a quick and easy lunch for hungry kids.

September 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jack10
This content has been removed due to abuse.
June 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.